Marketing/Event Director for the City of Spencer
The City of Spencer is hiring a full-time marketing/event director. This position requires creativity and innovation, excellent writing and editing skills, ability to manage multiple projects, and the ability to develop marketing, retail promotions, and public relations strategies. This position works under the direction of the Mayor on projects of all types, attends workshops and meetings as requested and approved by the Mayor, makes presentations to Spencer City Council, Spencer Development Authority and to county and state groups. This position requires a high level of confidentiality and works at the will and pleasure of the Mayor and Spencer City Council.
- Plan, organize, and direct comprehensive marketing, communication, branding, and public information activities.
- Develop and write grant proposals and submit to potential funding bodies.
- Coordinate and organize a variety of special events and develop new events with volunteer participation and sponsorships to promote the City of Spencer.
- Plan and direct fundraising activities for special events including the WV Black Walnut Festival, Heritage Days, summer music in the park, promotional retail sales, etc.
- Create and maintain websites for City and Black Walnut Festival in a timely manner to always ensure accurate, up-to-date information.
- Write and distribute electronic communications including newsletters, invitations, and e-blasts promoting the City of Spencer.
- Design and provide leadership to social media formats.
- Meet with local businesses and citizens to address concerns and problem solve ways to improve the community and retail environment.
- Create and implement tourism goals to highlight Spencer as a destination and a place to live, work, shop, and visit.
- Bachelor or Associate Degree preferred; experience or degree in marketing, communications, or related field helpful.
- Strong knowledge of computers, basic website design, development, and maintenance.
- Strong knowledge of Spencer business community and retail marketing; resident of Spencer/Roane County preferred.
- Grant writing skills and knowledge of funding sources; ability to research and identify funding opportunities for special programs.
- Outstanding people skills including ability to relate to others, strong communication and listening skills, flexibility, good judgment, leadership and motivation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and take initiative in managing several projects with attention to detail.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range is $28,000 - $32,000, with options for increases based on success. Benefits include health insurance, retirement plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, and more. Must provide own transportation.
Regular office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with the expectation of some evening and weekend work.
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter outlining their qualifications for the position, a current resume, and a list of three professional references. The application package should be submitted by December 12, 2014 to the address below. Electronic submissions are encouraged.
Marketing/Event Director Selection Committee
City of Spencer
116 Court Street
Spencer, West Virginia 25276